This whole of Victorian Government contract offers a sole supplier for Document Mail Exchange (DX Mail). The contract covers pick-up, delivery, and non-standard DX services.
Lead agency: Department of Treasury and Finance
Conditions of use: Mandatory
Contract reference number: D08-96871
Arrangement type: Sole supplier
Start date: 1 May 2020
End date: 30 June 2022
Log in to view confidential commercial details of the contract (Government users only)
The key benefits of this contract are:
- standardised processes
- standardised prices
- centralised contract management.
There are three service categories, defined below, the cost of each being dependent on volumes of documents per week, and frequency of pick-up and delivery:
- AM Exchange
- Night Exchange (usually from a secure locker of night key entry)
- AM Delivery/PM Pick-up.
More information is available in the user guide.
How buyers join this contract
To join this contract and access more information:
Register as a New Buyer for the State Purchase Contracts confidential system (Government users only)
Step 1: Complete the Deed of Confidentiality.
Step 2: Seek approval, following local agency processes.
Step 4: Category manager will review the request. If approved, the signed deed will be returned. If rejected, an explanation will be provided.
Step 5: If approved, register as a buyer within the confidential system.
Step 6: Buyers will receive an email from the confidential system (DTF.APPS).
How buyers use this contract
Anyone using this contract must follow the rules of use.
Step 1: Read the user guide
Step 2: Find the membership you need
Complete a Membership Application with the first Purchase Order selecting the required category of level of service, with membership service fees which can be found in the contracts portal.
Indicative service timetable:
|CBD Membership||9am to 5pm||5pm to 9am||Delivery before 12noon|
|Melbourne Metropolitan Membership||9am to 5pm||5pm to 9am||Delivery before 12noon|
|Country Exchange Membership|| |
9am to 5pm
|5pm to 9am||Delivery before 12noon|
Indicative delivery transit timetable:
|CBD||Melbourne Metropolitan||Country CBD|
Standard Service - 2 days
Black Bag Service - Overnight
Toll will provide each buyer with a CBD Membership, Melbourne Metropolitan Membership or Country Exchange Membership, based on the buyer's location and the postcode reference guide for Government DX Services set out in this schedule.
Postcode range and membership type:
- 3000 - 3002: CBD
- 3003– 3138: Metro
- 3139 – 3139: Country
- 3140 – 3207: Metro
- 3211 – 3232: Country
- 3233 – 3334: Country
- 3335 – 3361: Country
- 3363 – 3424: Country
- 3427 – 3427: Country
- 3428 – 3428: Metro
- 3429 – 3461: Country
- 3462 – 3549: Country
- 3550 – 3555: Country
- 3556 – 3689: Country
- 3690 – 3690: Country
- 3691 – 3692: Country
- 3693 – 3694: Country
- 3695 – 3749: Country
- 3750 – 3751: Country
- 3752 – 3752: Metro
- 3753 – 3764: Country
- 3765 – 3765: Metro
- 3766 – 3792: Country
- 3793 – 3793: Metro
- 3794 – 3795: Country
- 3796 – 3796: Metro
- 3797 – 3801: Country
- 3802 – 3806: Metro
- 3807 – 3818: Country
- 3820 – 3909: Country
- 3910 – 3910: Metro
- 3911 – 3929: Country
- 3930 – 3931: Metro
- 3932 – 3951: Country
- 3953 – 3971: Country
- 3975 – 3976: Metro
- 3977 – 3977: Metro
- 3978 – 3996: Country
Step 3: Find the services you need
The standard service provided by Toll is a door-to-door document collection and delivery service, allowing the transfer of documents to all Victorian DX Network members, not just Government members. The annual membership service fees for the standard DX services can be found in the contracts portal.
The buyer may select an increased membership to allow for larger quantities of documents to be sent each week, and fees for these higher volumes can be found in the contracts portal.
Higher than standard volumes require larger bags, and Toll will provide bags measuring 1000mm x 600mm for large users. These are called 'Flash Bags', and have an annual surcharge which can be found in the contracts portal.
Document volumes are monitored by Toll, and purchasers shall be invoiced according to the agreed fees.
DX mail standard service
Documents that don't need individual tracking should be sent with DX mailbags (the standard mailbag which will measure 425mm x 560mm x 250mm) which hold scannable barcoded labels. The standard mailbag is scanned into the vehicle at pick up point, and on receipt at Toll's sorting facility, where documents are sorted into the mailbags for the required destinations.
The standard mailbags containing sorted documents are scanned into the delivery vehicle and again at the delivery point.
Up to 16kg of documents can be dispatched in the standard mailbag, with no single item to exceed 3kg. Single items between 3kg and 15kg, and all documents not packaged in the standard mailbags, aren't covered by the standard mailbag service and have an additional cost (refer to non-standard services).
- provide you one 'standard' mailbag for each membership, nominally allowing up to 500 documents to be sent per week, unless a higher level of service has been selected by the buyer
- collect and deliver a standard mailbag every business day from your chosen document pickup/drop point
- provide a same-time delivery and collection service for the day or night exchange memberships
- implement an AM delivery and PM collection service for the AM/PM memberships.
- leave the standard mailbag ready for collection at the agreed pickup time (even if there are no documents to be dispatched) as the services are based on a bag exchange.
Document volume fee surcharge
Toll conducts regular audits to verify document volumes.
The annual document audit will happen over the first 2 weeks of May and the last 2 weeks of October. Every buyer will have its use of the services audited over a total of 4 weeks each year of the agreement to determine its volume of documents.
A weekly average of documents sent using the services will be calculated for each buyer and this figure will determine a fee surcharge calculated in accordance with agreed fees (if any) to be applied to the buyer's membership.
If, before a document audit being conducted, a new buyer requires a larger volume/bag, Toll will conduct an ad hoc audit of the buyer's document volumes to determine the appropriate fee surcharge in line with the agreed fee structure. The fee surcharge will apply from the first month after the audit.
A new buyer will be included in the next audit If their volumes exceed 500 items per week, then the appropriate fee surcharge will apply from the time of the audit. Fee surcharges aren't paid on a retrospective basis.
Bulk Lodgements of Documents
Toll offers bulk lodgement service to buyers. A bulk lodgement charge is applied when sending through large quantities of documents on a single lodgement.
Toll will provide access to mailbags or mail trays for large users to collect bulk mail.
DX Black Bag Services
The black bag services is a priority overnight delivery of documents from one country exchange member to another.
Buyers that need a black bag service will be given both the black mailbag as well as a 'Standard' blue mailbag. Both the buyer and the receiving sites must subscribe to the black bag service. The relevant fees can be found in the contracts portal.
Sending documents from country exchange members' locations to metropolitan Melbourne, is covered in the standard (blue bag) services.
Shared Bag Delivery Service
For country exchange memberships, several buyers can share the use of a standard bag service through a common location. Each buyer must subscribe to the service. However, a discount applies, and reflects the number of buyers sharing that particular service.
The shared bag delivery service discount can be found in the contracts portal.
DX Premium Product Service
This service is designed for secure handling and delivery to DX members Australia-wide. The premium products have individual barcodes which are scanned each time the satchel arrives or departs a check point throughout the DX network. Data from each scan is automatically transferred to Toll's online reporting system that allows buyers to track movement in 'real time' through Toll's website.
DX International Product Service
This service is designed for secure handling and delivery to international street address locations. The international product has individual barcodes which are scanned each time the satchel arrives or departs a check point throughout the network. Data from each scan is automatically transferred to Toll's online reporting system enabling buyers to track movement in 'real time' via Toll's website.
For items not accommodated within the DX Mail standard service, weighing 3kg - 15kg Toll will give 'Government labels', which the buyer attaches to the DX item. These items are also fully trackable on Toll's website.
The fees applicable to this service can be found in the contracts portal.
Secure Freight Satchel
A secure freight satchel is available to ensure the integrity of the courier process for consignments requiring a high level of security. These tamper-evident satchels are Security Construction and Equipment Committee (SCEC) endorsed and can carry items classified and up to and including 'Secret and Highly Protected'.
These satchels have a unique 'tamper evident seal' stating "If this bag has been tampered with, discolouration, distortion or a warning may appear in the tape. In the case of tampering, do not open and immediately notify authorised personnel".
The satchel is available in 1 and 3kg sizes and has the following features:
- proactive monitoring and reporting
- automatic Toll extra service ($500). This is a contractual undertaking by Toll to pay damages of $500 (in addition to any other remedies that may exist under this SPC) if Toll is negligent or willfully causes loss or damage while providing its services.
- High Risk Freight (HRF) handling and procedures which minimise the risk of loss or damage.
- consignments are not left unattended at any time
- this service is SCEC endorsed.
Hand to hand service provides for the rapid dispatch of classified documents to an addressee who may be located anywhere in Australia. This service adheres to the following procedures:
- scanning occurs at all points of hand over to enable a complete record for all material carried
- the physical security includes packaging from Toll that does not identify the nature of the documents
- the consignment is not left unattended unless it is secured in an SCEC endorsed, locked security container or placed into the cargo hold of an aircraft
- the consignment is delivered to its destination in Australia within 24 hours of dispatch, or within 48 hours if the delivery area is in a remote region
- in the instance of major delays or if the consignment is unable to be delivered, the sender is notified by phone
- consignments may include national classified security documents up to and including TOP SECRET and Non-National documents up to and including HIGHLY PROTECTED.
High Risk Freight Service
This service is intended for consignments or documents of high importance or value. Toll will supply the buyer with 'High Risk Freight' (HRF) stickers to identify high-risk consignments.
- HRF consignments attract additional security, extra scanning and adhere to the following procedures
- the sender places an HRF sticker adjacent to the consignment note and completes an HRF manifest
- the sender identifies the consignment to the driver
- the driver ensures the consignment is personally handed to the PM operations supervisor (in the sending depot)for security scanning and manifesting
- the consignment is bagged, security tagged and the receiving depot is alerted. Should any delay occur in dispatch, the consignment is locked in the HRF security cage
- Toll's operations supervisor (in the receiving depot) manifests arrival and scans. The consignment is locked in a security cage until dispatched on driver's run. The consignment is manifested and scanned on board for delivery and delivered with electronic Proof of Delivery (POD).
Step 4: Request the service from the supplier
A Request for Services must:
- detail the services required, together with any special requirements relevant to the performance of the relevant services
- request Toll to provide a written quote to the buyer within 2 business days containing all the information required by a Request for Services.
If the organisation accepts a quote, it will issue a Purchase Order signed by the authorised representative. The Purchase Order is to specify, as a minimum, the identity of the buyer and the order number, Toll's details and quote number or details and the relevant services.
A quote will not be binding on Toll or the buyer until a Purchase Order contract has been formed.
Please use the attached Request for Services template and the Purchase Order template below (Please provide links.
Step 5: Receive a quote
You should receive a quote in 2 business days. Toll’s quote should include:
- a quote number
- your nominated manager’s details
- the services requested by you
- a description of how the needs listed in the Request for Services will be met as well as any likely or known restrictions which will have an impact on performance
- preferred payment method.
Step 6: Create a purchase order
Toll must provide the services the subject of a Purchase Order contract in accordance with the Service Levels and otherwise in accordance with this agreement and the requirements of the relevant Purchase Order.
Once this process is complete, Toll will send you a membership form which you will need to complete in order for Toll to implement your new service correctly.
All documents generated and received in the course of the Notice of Participation must be placed and retained in a departmental file and made available if required to the Contract Manager.
Toll will state its charges in the Request for Quote. The client must agree to charges, and issue a Notice of Participation before any expenditure is incurred.
Unless otherwise state, the following financial arrangements apply:
- Toll will issue and annual membership fee per service.
- Toll will receive an annual payment for the membership service.
Reviewed 25 June 2021