The Victorian State Government is committed to ethical, sustainable and socially responsible procurement.
The Victorian Government views its suppliers as partners and cares about the way they do business when working with us.
The Supplier Code of Conduct outlines ethical standards that suppliers aspire to meet when they do business with the State.
The Victorian Government seeks to work with its suppliers to meet and exceed minimum expectations as outlined in the Code. It also strives to improve the standard of its business practices.
The Victorian State Government’s expectations do not supersede or alter the supplier’s regulatory and contractual obligations. Instead they work in conjunction with these obligations.
When the Supplier Code of Conduct applies
The Supplier Code of Conduct applies from 1 July 2017.
The Supplier Code of Conduct applies to all general government sector contracts, agreements and orders for the supply of:
- construction works
- construction services
Suppliers commit to minimum ethical standards
Suppliers commit to the following minimum standards:
A. Integrity, ethics and conduct
B. Conflict of interest; gifts, benefits and hospitality
C. Corporate governance
D. Labour and human rights
E. Health and safety
F. Environmental management
Benefits of the Supplier Code of Conduct
The Supplier Code of Conduct:
- seeks to lift the standard of ethical behaviour throughout the supply chain
- articulates the State’s values and expectations of suppliers
- seeks supplier support
- requires few changes by suppliers as it is consistent with current laws
- complements current procurement practice
- provides support and advice to report misconduct, unethical behaviour or suspected corruption
- provides support and advice to report if a State employee has breached the Victorian Public Sector Code.
Tools and support
This content on this page is taken from the Ensuring Ethical Procurement Government Supplier fact sheet.
Suppliers are encouraged to raise concerns or seek clarification with their contract manager.